Follow-Up: RAGBRAI XLV (2017) Pack List
Here is a follow-up to my previous post, 2017-ragbrai-packlist. Based on this year, I made some last minute decisions on what to pack. Here are some factors that changed what ended up on the ride:
- Supported by my team bus.
- Riding/camping with my wife.
- Riding my single speed.
- Only camping four nights (22nd-25th) and only riding three days (23rd-25th)
In addition, the weather is looking pretty decent for July in Iowa. For the portion that I will be riding the highest is 88 and the lowest is 58.
# Pictured above
tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cycling sandals, casual sandals, water bottle, collapsible waterbottle, queen linen sheet, no rinse (2) body wash, sunscreen, gloves, towel, bungies (2), team koozie, deodorant, allergy spray, toothbrush, mirror, headlamp, pain medicine, eye drops, ear plugs, cycling cap, clothes bag, jerseys (3), cycling shorts (2) helmet, button shirt, board shorts, wool tee, running shorts, misc bag, beard comb, toothpaste, spare batteries, chapstick, sunglasses, spork, gorp, food bag, clif bloks (3), clif bars (6), nuun (2), whey protein (3), mini peanut butter, wallet, charger
# Not pictured
phone, bagels, bug spray, mini sunscreen, spare tire, assorted zip-ties, mini 15mm wrench, bike multi tool, patch kit, penny, presta valve adapter, CO2 adapter, CO2 cartridge, hand sanitizer, mini rear bike light
# A few thoughts about what I did and didn’t pack
- Our 3-Person Nemo tent is starting to grow old. Lots of duct tape on the no-see-em mesh.
- I am not expecting it to be too cold or wet so I am not packing pants, rain jacket, long sleeves, socks. A gamble considering Iowa weather changes quickly. We also tossed our our camp fan in favor of the blanket. See note below.
- I’ve had these two bottles of No Rinse for quite some time. Time to test it out with my wife around to smell the results!
- Usually I only carry a travel-sized deodorant, but I think I got a little lazy this year and might need the extra if the No Rinse doesn’t work.
- Three jerseys instead of the usual two, again in a effort to stay fresh.
- My wife ran out of space in her bus tub, so I am packing the linen sheet… I believe this is the only thing we have coordinated. Probably could have thought it out a bit more (toothpaste, sunscreen, etc.)
- I have a rear rack on the single speed this year, so bungies are must just in case for when (not if) I carry a case… of beer.
- The penny is for toe-in brake adjustments. Something tells me that I will need that and the zip-ties. We will see.
- Since taking these pictures I have already decided to swap the rear bike light for a bigger/brighter one that uses AAA batteries. Between that and the head lamp, the spare batteries might actually get used this year.
- The bagels, PB, and whey are all new this year. Trying to save a bit of money by not going to food vendors as often. The blue water bottle has my blender bottle ball in it to mix the whey/water.
- Our bus has a few other tools, bike pump, solar showers, power outlets, chairs.
- Yep, no underwear… deal with it.